Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Toledo and Ohio Central Railway Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which has been signed by the company First Vice President and Secretary, was printed by the Franklin-Lee Bank Note Company and measures approximately 10" (w) by 15" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a train steaming past a signal tower and river. A second train crosses a bridge in the background.
The roots of this line can be traced back to 1869, when the Atlantic & Lake Erie Railway was incorporated to build a line from Toledo to Pomeroy. In 1876, the line’s name was changed to the Ohio Central Railway.
In 1885, the Ohio Central was sold under foreclosure to the newly formed Toledo and Ohio Central Railway. In December 1899, the Hocking Valley Railway acquired ownership of Toledo and Ohio Central which also included control of the Kanawha and Michigan.