Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Swedesboro Rail Road Company dating back to the 1870's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by G. H. Ives and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of a train steaming under a bridge.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
This rail line had its beginning in 1854, when it was incorporated with a capitalization of $175,000. The Swedesboro Railroad was finally chartered in 1866 and was officially opened for service between Woodbury and Swedesboro during the year 1869. Trackage totaled 10.8 miles.
Connections were made at Woodbury with the Camden and Woodbury Railroad and at Swedesboro with the Salem Railroad.
On December 31, 1887, the Swedesboro, along with the Salem Railroad, the Woodstown and Swedesboro Railroad, the Salem Branch Railroad, the West Jersey Terminal Railroad and the Maurice River Railroad were consolidated to form the West Jersey Railroad.
On May 4, 1896 the West Jersey was consolidated with the Chelsea Branch Railroad, the Alloway and Quinton Railroad, the Philadelphia Marlton and Medford Railroad, the West Jersey and Atlantic Railroad, and the Camden and Atlantic Railroad to form the West Jersey and Sea Shore Railroad.