This line was incorporated on May 4, 1896 as a consolidation of the the West Jersey and Atlantic Railroad Company, the Philadelphia, Marlton and Medford Railroad Company, the West Jersey Railroad Company, the Chelsea Branch Railroad Company, and the Alloway and Quinton Railroad Company. The line subsequently acquired the Delaware River Railroad Company on April 30, 1900.
The line was a partly double-track, steam and electric railroad located in the southern part of New Jersey. The more important main lines of the West Jersey and Seashore consisted of a double-track, steam-operated line between Camden and Atlantic City; a double-track, electrically operated line between the same points; and a double-track, electrically operated line between Camden and Millville, with a steam-operated extension to Cape May.
In addition to its rail lines, the West Jersey and Seashore owned about 2.75 miles of water transfer between Longport and Ocean City, which were leased to and operated by the Atlantic City & Shore Railroad Company. It also owned and operated about 0.15 mile, between Maurice River and Bivalve.
Finally, the line operated, as agent, the ferries of The Cooper's Point and Philadelphia Company and Kensington and New Jersey Ferry Company.