Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Jamestown, Franklin and Clearfield Railroad Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which has been signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 10" (w) by 14 1/2" (h).
The certificate's intricate vignette features a trio of topless allegorical figures.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Jamestown, Franklin & Clearfield Railroad was formed by merger, under contract dated January 26, 1909, of the Franklin and Clearfield Railroad Company, Jamestown and Franklin Railroad Company, Central Trunk Railway Company and Jackson Coal Railroad Company, consolidation effective March 8, 1909. It was subsequently leased to The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, in perpetuity, from April 1, 1909.
The Franklin and Clearfield Railroad Company was chartered June 19, 1902, to construct a road from Franklin, Pa., to Clearfield, Pa., a distance of 111 miles. The Jamestown and Franklin Railroad Company was formed by consolidation, under agreement of August 14, 1871, of the Jamestown and Franklin Railroad Company and the Junction Railroad Company. The former was chartered April 5, 1862, and the latter was incorporated September 19, 1870. The original Jamestown and Franklin Railroad Company was leased to the Cleveland Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad Company on March 21, 1864, and the consolidated company was operated by The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company under lease of January 9, 1885, until it was merged into the Jamestown Franklin and Clearfield Railroad Company.
The Junction Railroad Company had previously absorbed the Connection Railroad Company and the Oil Creek Junction Railroad Company. The Central Trunk Railway Company was chartered May 23, 1868, to build a road from the Ohio-Pennsylvania State Line to connect with the line of the Jamestown and Franklin Railroad Company at Jamestown, Pa., which road was built in 1871. The Jackson Coal Railroad Company was chartered February 26, 1883, to build an extension to a spur to the Mercer Iron and Coal Company's mines near Stoneboro, Pa., a distance of about 10 miles.