Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from Botany Industries, Inc. dating back to the 1960's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the Security-Columbian Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
The certificate's vignette features the company logo.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The roots of this company go back to the formation of Botany Worsted Mills in Passaic, New Jersey in 1889, which was largely through the efforts of Kammgarnspinnerei Stoehr and Company of Leipzig, Germany, one of Europe's largest woolen and worsted firms.
In 1918 Botany Mills and five other German-owned worsted mills in Passaic and Garfield were confiscated by the federal government and put in the hands of the Alien Property Custodian. Although Botany was seized, it remained under the effective control of its German interests. In 1926 the Botany Worsted and Garfield Textile Mills, the latter located across the Passaic River, were owned or controlled by a holding company, Botany Consolidated Mills, Inc., whose president was Max Stoehr.
The mill staved off bankruptcy during the Depression and government orders during World War II brought it back into full production. The 1940s were profitable years. The company began to label its products for direct distribution to retailers, creating the "Botany 500" nameplate for a line of men's clothing. The company also opened up their own retail outlets.
Starting with ties in the 1930s, the product line was expanded following the war to include men's robes, scarves, sport shirts, bathing suits, socks, and gloves, and women's knitting yarns, robes, cosmetics and fabrics for home sewing.
In 1947 the firm changed its name to Botany Mills, Inc. The drop of the word "worsted" from its title reflected the decline in importance of the product in the company's textile line. Sales declined in the early 1950s and in 1955 the Passaic mill closed its doors and was converted into a multi-tenant industrial park.
In 1961, the company was purchased by Abraham Sonnabend, who proceeded to acquire twelve comparnies that made everything from sun tan lotion to luggage. As a result, Botany Mills became Botany Industries, Inc. in 1966.
However, the diversification could not save the company - which filed for bankruptcy in 1972 and was gone the following year.