Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate of indebtedness from the Atlanta & West Point Railroad Company dating back to the 1890's. This document, which was printed by the American Bank Note Company, is signed by the company President and Secretary, and measures approximately 10" (w) by 5 3/4" (h).
This certificate's fantastic vignette features a 4-4-0 locomotive at a station.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured. PLEASE NOTE close cropping at left side border and toning and edge faults along bottom margin.
This company was chartered in 1847 as the Atlanta and LaGrange Rail Road and renamed in 1857. Construction of the 5 ft gauge line was begun in 1849-50 and completed in May of 1854. A large minority interest owned by the Georgia Railroad and Banking Company eventually passed under the control of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL), which later acquired a majority of the stock.
The AWP and the Western Railway of Alabama had financial backing from the parent company of the Georgia Railroad and Banking Company. From 1886 onward the AWP and the Western operated essentially as one railroad under the name "West Point Route." In the 19th and early 20th centuries, the three were controlled through joint lease by the Central of Georgia Railroad and the Louisville and Nashville Railroad (through assignment by its majority owner, the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad).
The Central of Georgia sold its interest in 1944. The lines eventually fell under the control of the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad, as a result of a merger between the Atlantic Coast Line and the Seaboard Air Line. All of these lines, plus the Clinchfield Railroad, became the Family Lines System in the 1970s, though all the lines maintained separate corporate identities. Those identities became "fallen flags" when the group was renamed Seaboard System Railroad (SBD). In 1986 SBD merged with Chessie System to form CSX Transportation.