Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Consolidated Steamship Lines dating back to the early to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11 1/4" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate features a great vignette of a steamship on open waters with numerous other vessels in the background.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Consolidated Steamship Lines was incorporated in Maine, on January 1, 1907, as a holding company, owning a majority of the capital stock of the Eastern Steamship Company, Metropolitan Steamship Company, Clyde Steamship Company, Mallory Steamship Company, and shortly afterwards, the New York & Cuba Mail Steamship
The Clyde Line served New York City, Charleston and Jacksonville, Wilmington, Georgetown, Philadelphia, Norfolk, Virginia, and Santo Domingo.
The Mallory Line served New York, Galveston, Texas, Key West and Tampa, Florida, Mobile, Alabama, and Brunswick, Georgia.
The New York & Cuba Mail served New York, Havana and other Cuban ports, Progresso and Vera Cruz, Mexico and Nassau in the Bahamas.
The New York & Porto Rico Line served New York, San Juan and other Porto Rican ports, New Orleans and Galveston and Port Arthur, Texas.
The Eastern Steamship Company served Boston, Maine, and St. John, New Brunswick and other intermediate ports.
The Metropolitan Steamship Company operated between New York and Boston on the sound.
These six lines controlled a large part of the coastwise service on the Atlantic Coast and were important factors in the West Indian service.
The Atlantic, Gulf & West Indies Steamship Lines was incorporated in November, 1908, under the laws of Maine, to acquire at foreclosure sale the properties of the Consolidated Steamship Lines which, with their consolidator, Charles W. Morse, had gone down in the financial storm of 1907.