Nicely engraved specimen stock certificate from Clinton Mills, Inc. dating back to the late 1900's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
Nice specimen piece with a vignette featuring the company's logo.
The images presented are representative of the piece(s) you will receive. When representative images are presented for one of our offerings, you will receive a certificate in similar condition as the one pictured; however dating, denomination, certificate number and issuance details may vary.
This company was founded in 1807 as the Providence Manufacturing Company in West Warwick, Rhode Island, and by 1808 was operating a cotton mill. Its name changed in 1823 to Crompton Company, and it expanded to include a bleachery and by 1832 calico printing.
The village around the mill was named Crompton Mills, later known as Crompton. The company incorporated in 1850. By 1866, George Martin Richmond gained controlling interest, and the Richmond family soon dominated the company. Frank Richmond became president in 1866 and Howard Richmond became treasurer.
The company began to make corduroys and velveteens; printed cloth was phased out by 1906. In 1915 the company took over the sales agency of Henry Kupfer & Company and later changed its name to Crompton-Richmond Company. It entered the factoring business in 1933 and in 1936 moved its sales of finished goods and factoring subsidiary to New York City.
The company expanded to the South, building Crompton-Highland Mills in 1925 in Griffin, Georgia, to make grey corduroy. In 1928 Crompton-Shenandoah Company in Waynesboro, West Virginia, was operating as a corduroy dyeing and finishing plant. Other southern plants included Crompton-Arkansas Mills in Morrillton, Arkansas, the Crompton-Osceola Company (F.E. Richmond plant) in Osceola, Arkansas, and the Howard Richmond Plant in Leesburg, Virginia.
The company ceased operations in 1988. When it went out of business, it was the oldest textile firm in the country, having been in continuous operation for over 175 years.