Only 1 Available!

Boston and Providence Railroad Corporation


SKU: 55
Product Details


Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Boston and Providence Railroad Corporation dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, measures approximately 10" (w) by 14 1/2" (h). 


This certificate features a beautiful vignette of numerous trains at a busy rail yard. A group of trackworkers is seen working near a signal tower.


You will receive the exact certificate pictured.

    Historical Context

    The Boston and Providence Railroad was incorporated June 21, 1831 and chartered the next day to build a railroad between Boston and Providence, Rhode Island.

    Construction began in late 1832. The first section, from Boston to Canton, with a branch to Dedham opened in 1834, and the rest opened on July 28, 1835 with the completion of the Canton Viaduct. The opening of stations in Jamaica Plain allowed the development of one of the first commuter suburbs in America.

    Until 1899, when South Station opened, the Boston terminal was at Park Square, with a crossing at-grade of the Boston and Worcester Railroad at the current merge at Back Bay station (also opened in 1899, only serving the B&P). The original Providence terminal was at Fox Point, from which it ran east along the Seekonk River shore and over the river into East Providence (then part of Seekonk, Massachusetts) before turning north towards Boston. A ferry across the Providence River connected Fox Point to the South Providence terminal of the New York, Providence and Boston Railroad (opened 1837).

    In 1847 the Providence and Worcester Railroad opened its line between downtown Providence and Worcester, Massachusetts. At the same time, the B&P built a connection west from its main line in southern Attleboro to the P&W in Central Falls. The B&P and P&W jointly owned the line south of Central Falls into downtown Providence. (In 1848 the NYP&B connected its line south of downtown Providence to downtown, removing the gap through Providence.)

    On April 1, 1888, the Old Colony Railroad leased the B&P for 99 years. The New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad leased the Old Colony on March 1, 1893 and assumed the lease. The New Haven used the B&P as part of its main Boston-New York Shore Line.

    When Boston's new South Station union station opened in 1899, a new line was built along the south side of the Boston and Albany Railroad to the new station, located near the B&A's old terminal. The old line to Park Square was abandoned.

    The East Side Railroad Tunnel opened in 1908 between East Providence and downtown Providence. This provided a second route into Providence, using the old alignment to East Providence and then running through the tunnel. The tunnel is no longer in use, having been disconnected on the downtown side, with its entrance located underneath the What Cheer Building which is owned by RISD.