General Motors Acceptance Corporation
Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the General Motors Acceptance Corporation dating back to the 1950's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company Executive Vice President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 9 1/2" (w) by 14" (h).
This certificate features an allegorical female figure on a winged wheel. Industry scenes can be seen in the background.
The images presented are representative of the piece(s) you will receive. When representative images are presented for one of our offerings, you will receive a certificate in similar condition as the one pictured; however dating, denomination, certificate number and issuance details may vary.
In 1897, the Olds Motor Vehicle Company, Inc., the oldest unit of General Motors Corporation, was organized by Ransom E. Olds with capital of $50,000 (5,000 shares of stock at $10 per share) and the first Oldsmobile was produced.
In 1899, the Olds Motor Vehicle and Olds Gasoline Engine Works of Lansing merged to form Olds Motor Works. This new company was incorporated on May 8, 1899 with $500,000 capital. The first factory specifically for automobile manufacturing in the United States was built by Olds in Detroit on Jefferson Avenue East.
In 1901, the curved-dash Oldsmobile became the first American car to be manufactured in quantity.
In 1918, General Motors bought the operating assets of Chevrolet Motor Company in May. That same year, United Motors Corporation (UMC) became part of General Motors Corporation.
In 1919, General Motors acquired a 60% interest in Fisher Body Company. Seven years later, General Motors purchased the Fisher brothers’ remaining interest in Fisher Body Company, with William Fisher becoming General Manager of GM’s new Fisher Body division. The acquisition included the Ternstedt Manufacturing Company, which was engaged in the manufacturing of automobile body hardware and metal stampings.
In 1929, GM entered the commercial aviation business by buying a 40% interest in Fokker Aircraft Corporation which also had assets in Dayton-Wright , 24% interest in Bendix Aviation Corporation, and all of the outstanding stock of Allison Engineering Company. These acquisitions also gave GM access to technical information that was valuable in automotive operations. The name of Fokker Aircraft Corporation of America was later changed to the General Aviation Corporation.
In 1934, a two-cycle diesel engine developed by GM hauled the first American diesel-powered streamlined railroad train.
In 1943, General Motors acquired all assets of Yellow Truck & Coach, and the GMC Truck & Coach Division was formed.
Some of the GM lines over the years have included: