Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the West Philadelphia Passenger Railway Company dating back to the 1930's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 8 1/2" (h).
This certificate's vignette features horse-drawn trolleys on a city street.
The West Philadelphia Passenger Railway Company was incorporated in Pennsylvania in 1857.
In 1865 the Market Street Horse Car Passenger Railway (yellow cars--red lights) came out Market Street from Front as far as 41st Street, and then north to Haverford Avenue where the terminal stood. (The building is still used as a bus barn.) At this depot, one changed to the West Philadelphia Passenger Railway (green cars-white lights) which traveled out Haverford Avenue to 54th Street thence south to Vine, west to 66th Street and return.
This line contributed greatly to the Haddington section development.