West Penn Traction & Water Power Company
Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the West Penn Traction & Water Power Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Assistant Treasurer, was printed by the Franklin-Lee Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7 3/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette features one of the company's electric trolleys.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
This company was originally incorporated on July 11, 1911, under West Virginia laws, as the Black River Water & Power Company. The company's name was changed to the West Penn Traction & Water Pwer Company in April, 1912.
The company acquired, in January, 1912, the entire common stock of the West Penn Traction Company from the American Water Works & Guarantee Company. It also acquired 25% of the stock of the Cheat River Hydro-Electric Company. The West Penn Traction & Water Power Company then leased the West Penn Traction Company effective January 1, 1912, at a rental equaling expenses, maintenance, interest charges and 6% on both common and preferred stocks of the lessee.
On August 1, 1912, the West Penn Traction Company purchased practically all the stock of the Wheeling Traction Company. The West Penn Traction Company was itself incorporated under Pennsylvania laws May 11, 1910, to take over the control of the West Penn Railways, issuing $1,625,000 preferred and $6,500,000 common stock in exchange for $3,250,000 common stock of the West Penn Railways Company. The West Penn Traction Company also controlled, directly and indirectly, the entire common capital stock of the West Penn Power Company, which was formed on March 1, 1916, by merger of 53 electric light and power companies, chartered in Pennsylvania.
The total properties controlled (including the Wheeling Traction Compant) embraced 322.55 miles of electric railways in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio; 437.58 miles of transmission lines, which served light and power to 90 municipalities.
In May, 1917, stockholders approved a plan for the consolidation of the West Penn Traction Company and the West Penn Railways under the name of the West Penn Railways Company.