Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the West Coast Jockey Club dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by Goes and measures approximately 11" (w) by 8 1/2" (h).
The certificate's vignette features a bust of Man O' War.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
With development masterminded by investors Harvey Myers and Colonel Matt J. Winn, Tampa Bay Downs opened up as the West Coast Jockey Club in 1926 and operated as such until 1943 when the US Army took it over to use it as a training facility during the War.
The track was given an overhaul three years later; renamed Sunshine Park and adapted with electric starting gates, photo finishes and a tote board. A further name change occurred in 1965 as the facility became Florida Downs and Turf Club and carried on largely unchanged until 1980 when it became what we know it as now – Tampa Bay Downs.
From 1983 and for 20 years thereafter, Tampa operated Arabian races as well as thoroughbred heats with only a dirt track at the facility, though by 1998 a turf track was added to diversify the range of races offered.