Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Washington and Franklin Railway Company dating back to the 1960's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the E. A. Wright Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Washington and Franklin was incorporated under the general laws of Maryland and Pennsylvania through articles of consolidation, dated June 10, 1899; filed in Pennsylvania, June 30, 1899, and in Maryland, July 7, 1899, for the purpose of consolidating the properties, rights, and franchises of the Hagerstown and State Line Rail Road Company, incorporated under the general laws of Maryland, February 6, 1884; and The Washington and Franklin Railroad Company, incorporated under general laws of Pennsylvania, February 2, 1898. Pursuant to the above purpose the Washington and Franklin acquired at its organization the properties, rights, and franchises of the two railroad corporations named.
Of the mileage owned by the Washington and Franklin, 14.39 miles extending from Hagerstown, Maryland, to Quinsonia, Pennsylvania, were acquired by consolidation; about 5.28 miles from the Hagerstown and State Line Rail Road Company and about 9.11 miles from the Washington and Franklin Railroad Company. The remainder of the proposed road of the last-named company, about 4.70 miles, was acquired by construction. Construction of the road was begun in Maryland on May 9, 1898, and was completed to Quinsonia, Pennsylvania, March 12, 1899, and to Zumbro, Pennsylvania, January 27, 1901.