Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Ute Pass Land and Water Company dating back to the 1890's. This document was printed by Gast and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 8 3/4" (h).
The certificate has three beautiful vignettes of Ute Park (the third and fourth pictures above are from the back of the certificate) - Fern Canon, Pine Grove on Mountain Road and Ute Pass.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Ute Pass Land and Water Company was incorporated in Colorado, with offices in Colorado Springs.
Ute Park (pictured on this piece) was a station on the Colorado Midland Railway in El Paso County. The Colorado Midland had a 27 mile line from Colorado Springs to Divide which was purchased by the Midland Terminal Railway Company in the early 1920's. With the construction of the railroad, this company probably saw an opportunity for profit from the sale of land for development and water for hydroelectric and other uses.
In 1872, what would be known as Chipita Park Colorado (originally named Ute Pass Park) was built under the leadership of William Blackmore. Blackmore bought roughly 1,000 acres in the valley of the park, opening it up to European investors who helped build Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs and the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad.
When Mr. Blackmore died, the land was sold and used as ranch land, farming and lumber. The Ute Pass Land and Water Company started to develop the park into a resort in 1890. Homes, cottages and the Ute Hotel, built in August of 1890, overlooked the new Midland Railway depot. Almost ten years after opening, the hotel caught fire and burnt down. No plans were made to rebuild it and the town stagnated until 1927.
Frank Marcroft, an enterprising man of vision, controlled the Ute Pass Land Company at the time. He started development of the dormant town and renamed it Chipita Park, after the wife of Chief Ouray of the Ute Indians.