Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the United Verde Extension Mining Company dating back to the 1930's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Treasurer, was printed by H. H. Brewer & Co. of New York and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of an eagle on a crag.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1914, a separate company, the United Verde Extension Mining Company (UVX), led by James S. Douglas, Jr. (nicknamed Rawhide Jimmy), discovered a second ore body near Jerome that produced a bonanza. The UVX Mine, also known as the Little Daisy Mine, became spectacularly profitable: during 1916 alone, it produced $10 million worth of copper, silver and gold, of which $7.4 million was profit.
In 1918, the company built the Little Daisy Hotel in Jerome to serve as a boarding house for its miners. That year, the company built a smelter in its own company town near Cottonwood; the company town was named Clemenceau in 1920.
The mine remained profitable until the Great Depression, which caused copper prices to crash.
The company went out of business in 1938.