Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the United States Car Company dating back to the 1890's. This document, which is signed by the company President or Vice President and Treasurer, was printed by Charles A. Searing, Stationer, and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a train steaming past a farming scene.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The United States Car Company was originally founded as the New England Car Company in 1879 by Simeon Brownell and his son Frank Brownell. With offices in Boston, they produced a number of railway cars and specialized in hopper rail cars. Many of the railcars were produced by outside manufacturers. A businessman and railcar tipping inventor Matthew Van Wormer had put up most of the money for the New England Car Company, and moved to the Boston area and took control of the company.
The Brownells took their agency agreement for sales outside New England and began a new company called the United States Car Company. United States Car Co. was organized with capital of $3.5 million, with plants at Hegewisch, Illinois, Anniston, Decatur, and in Cherokee County, Alabama, and at Urbana, Ohio. In 1912, it changed its name to Western Steel Car & Foundry, which made electric steel, grey iron, and malleable iron.