Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from United Drug, Inc. dating back to the 1930's and 1940's. This document, which carries the printed signature of the company President and Treasurer was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
The certificate's vignette features a pair of angelic allegorical figures flanking a mortar and pestle.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1902, Louis K. Liggett persuaded 40 druggists to invest in a drug company that would manufacture and distribute products in franchised stores. In 1903, the United Drug Company began operations at 43 Leon Street in Boston, now known Meserve Hall at Northeastern University. The stores and products were known by the name "Rexall," for "king of all."
By 1929, United Drug had 21 manufacturing plants throughout the United States. It employed over 25,000 workers, supplied 10,000 Rexall Drug Stores, and operated a chain of over 500 Liggett Drug Stores in the United States. In 1944, Liggett stepped down. Justin Dart, the new president, renamed United Drug the Rexall Drug Company and moved the headquarters to Los Angeles.