Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Toledo, St. Louis and Western Railroad Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Secretary, was printed by the Franklin-Lee Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 14" (w) by 8 3/4" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of a locomotive at the left side, while an allegorical female figure adorns the right side border.
Records of the time indicate that the Toledo, St. Louis, and Western Railroad was a remnant of the old Toledo, Cincinnati, and St. Louis, a business effort originally attempting to establish a narrow-gauge railroad system.
The Toledo, St. Louis and Western was part of a recovery effort for what had been a sagging railroad business. Backed by the famous Chicago meatpacker, Phillip Armour, the effort was a second reorganization of the Clover Leaf (as the line was affectionately called) to become more efficient and a good fit with the Nickel Plate moving into the 20th century. However, over-reactionary business decisions once again sent the company into receivership for eight years. Although the company met its obligations during that time, the infrastructure was declining. Very few repairs were made to the tracks and the purchase of new passenger cars was in limbo.
Finally, after concerted efforts to save the company, the Toledo, St. Louis, and Western Railroad became part of the Nickel Plate on December 28, 1922.