Toledo, Delphos and Burlington Railroad Company (Dayton Division)
Intricately engraved antique bond certificate from the Toledo, Delphos and Burlington Railroad Company dating back to the 1880's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Franklin Bank Note Company and measures approximately 16" (w) by 9 1/2" (h).
The certificate features two nice vignettes - a train rounding a bend at the top and a bee hive at the bottom.
In 1879, the 112 mile Toledo, Delphos & Burlington Railroad was formed from the consolidation of the Toledo, Delphos & Indianapolis; Delphos & Kokomo; Delphos, Bluffton & Frankfort and Toledo & Maumee Narrow Gauge railroads.
On the May 17, 1880, the company entered into a contract with the Dayton, Covington & Toledo Railroad Company for the consolidation of the two. The new organization was also known as the Toledo. Delphos & Burlington Railroad Company, being formed June 21, 1880, a little over a month after the contract was made for consolidation. The new company completed the projected line from Dayton to Delphos, and after the consolidation with the Dayton & Southeastern Company, the Toledo & Grand Rapids road was purchased (extending from Toledo via Waterville to Grand Rapids, in Wood County). On April 15, 1881, a certificate was filed for the construction of a branch line from Dayton to Lebanon, Warren County, to form connection with the Cincinnati Northern Railway. On May 19, 1881, a certificate was filed for the construction of a branch from Wellston to Ironton, the northern terminus of the Ironton & Huntington Railway. The lines, which were originally the Dayton & Southeastern, the Dayton, Cleveland and Toledo, and the Dayton, Lebanon & Cleveland, were owned and managed by the recently organized Toledo, Cincinnati & St. Louis Company, with principal offices at Toledo.
The line was known as the “Clover Leaf” route.