Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Toledo and Maumee Valley Railway Company dating back to the 1890's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the New York Bank Note Company and measures approximately 9 1/2" (w) by 14 1/2" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a pair of vignettes - a topless female figure holding a light with a cherub at the top and a trolley car crossing a long stone and iron bridge at the bottom.
Seldom seen piece.
In July of 1887, The Toledo & Maumee Valley Railway Company was formed by A. K. Detwiler, G. G. Metzger, G. K. Detwiler and C.P. Griffin (dba the Detwiler & Metzger syndicate.) In April of 1896, the Toledo, Bowling Green & Fremont Railway Company was formed by the King-Tracy syndicate. This line would run from Perrysburg or Maumee to Bowling Green, Pemberville, Gibsonburg and Fremont.
In 1897, the Toledo & Maumee Valley Railroad leased the Toledo, Bowling Green & Fremont Railway line and operated them both as part of its own system. This was done to increase the growth of the electric railway systems with Toledo as the central point for all the railway lines
On January 21, 1901, the “Pumpkin Vine” - the Toledo, Waterville & Southern Railway Company - was incorporated as a subsidiary of the Toledo & Maumee Valley Railway Company.
In December of 1901, the Toledo, Waterville and Southern Railway; Toledo, Bowling Green & Fremont Railway; and the Toledo and Maumee Valley Railway were sold to the Everett-Moore Syndicate. The new electric railway line that was formed from the sale was named the Maumee Valley Railway and Light Company.
In 1921, the Maumee Valley Railway and Light Company went into bankruptcy, and in 1924, the line was abandoned.
All of our pieces are original - we do not sell reproductions. If you ever find out that one of our pieces is not authentic, you may return it for a full refund of the purchase price and any associated shipping charges.