Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Tioga Rail Road Company dating back to the 1800's. This document measures approximately 10" (w) by 6 1/2" (h).
The vignette on this piece features an old train rounding a bend by a group of workers.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1833, The Tioga Navigation Company (PA), and the Tioga Railroad (NY) were given permission to construct a rail system to carry coal and lumber from Blossburg, PA north to Corning, NY. Each state would only allow rails to be built to their respective state line; the New York section later became the Corning & Blossburg. At Corning, coal and lumber arriving by the Tioga, was loaded onto canal boats which took a circuitous route via the Chemung Canal extension to Horseheads, NY. From there, it went by the Chemung Canal to Watkins, to be loaded on larger craft, and taken north on Seneca Lake, to be marketed.
When it commenced initial operation, this was one of "the oldest railroads in the U.S., built expressly to carry coal." Together, the continuous line from Blossburg to Corning totalled 46+ miles. The combined railroad was leased to the Tioga Railroad Company. In 1852, the Tioga Railroad built a line from Blossburg to the coal mines at Morris Run.
The New York section of the road, extending from Corning to Lawrenceville, fell into debt, and was purchased by John Magee, who reorganized the rail line as Blossburg & Corning (B&C). He made major improvements to the track and the facilities (including making the track gauge a standard 6 feet, allowing the Tioga to connect to the Erie Railroad at Corning), and convinced the owners of the Pennsylvania section, the Tioga Railroad Company, to do the same. The B&C owned the rail line only; all equipment and rolling stock was owned by the Fall Brook Coal Company. In 1869, the line was leased to the Fall Brook Coal Company.