Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Texas Exploration Company dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Treasurer-Secretary, was printed by Goes and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette features an eagle atop a dome.
The Texas Exploration Company was orginally organized in 1915 in Texas by Henry T. Staiti. The company was reorganized as a Delaware entity in 1926.
Staiti was an oil pioneer who forecasted the possibility of finding oil near Beaumont, Texas three years before Spindletop erupted. Although he did not have a financial stake in Spindletop, his 1898 report was published in newspapers around the world after the discovery was made.
One of the Texas Exploration Company's wells was one of the first wells of the Humble Oil Field. To this day, the town of Humble has a street named in Staiti's honor.
The company's most famous well was located on the Damon Mound salt dome. Another of the company's wells was located on the Hockley salt dome.