Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by Wm. B. Burford Lith., Indianapolis and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 8 3/4" (h).
Nice vignette features a train at a busy city station.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
This railroad line was originally chartered by Chauncey Rose as the Terre Haute and Richmond Railroad in 1847, with the segment from Terre Haute to Indianapolis being completed in 1851 and the first train running in January 1852. It went through a series of name changes before ending up the Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad, and was sold to the Pennsylvania Railroad Compny in 1893. At that time, it was re-incorporated under the Vandalia Railroad name.
When the Pennsylvania Railroad merged with the New York Central in 1968 to form Penn Central, they elected to keep the New York Central's own double-tracked line between Terre Haute and Indianapolis, abandoning the PRR corridor.