Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Syracuse Rapid Transit Railway Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Secretary/Treasurer, was printed by the Franklin Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of an electric trolley on a busy city street.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Syracuse Rapid Transit Railway, an interurban rail, was chartered on May 21, 1896. The company was a consolidation of the Syracuse Street Railroad Company, the Syracuse Consolidated Street Railway Company and the People's Railroad Company which was formerly leased to the Syracuse Street Railroad Company.
The company was consolidated with the New York State Railways, affiliated with New York Central Railroad in 1912. The former Syracuse Rapid Transit went on to form the majority of what would become the Syracuse Lines of New York State Railways. The parent company entered receivership in 1929, from which it emerged in 1934. The Syracuse Lines were reorganized as the Syracuse Transit Corporation on November 22, 1939. The last day of streetcar operation in Syracuse was January 4, 1941.