Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Sullivan Railroad Company dating back to the 1840's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by Rawdon, Wright, Hatch & Edson of Boston and measures approximately 9 1/4" (w) by 6" (h).
This certificate features four vignettes - a female figure (Prosperity) with an eagle, shield and cornucopia at the top and a train at the left side. The train scene is flanked by two smaller scenes - a man shearing a sheep at the top and another female figure at the bottom.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured. Please note close cropping to left side border.
The Sullivan Railroad was incorporated in New Hampshire in 1848 and was based in Charleston.
The company's line extended from the western bank of the Connecticut River, a little south of the village of Windsor, in the state of Vermont, through a part of the town of Cornish, and through the towns of Claremont and Charlestown, and intersects the Cheshire railroad in Walpole, near Bellows Falls in New Hampshire - a distance of about 24 miles.
The Sullivan Railroad later became part of the Boston and Maine system.