Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document was printed by the Western Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 14" (w) by 9 1/2" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a Studebaker Brothers factory.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1852 Henry and Clem Studebaker opened a blacksmith and wagon shop in South Bend, Indiana under the firm name H. & C. Studebaker. John M. Studebaker joined his brothers but at the age 19 got gold fever and traveled out west. In the mean time the little firm of H. & C. Studebaker was having a hard time financing its business, was confronted with judgments, and about to go under. Money was scarce and seldom obtained for sales. So in 1858 John M. Studebaker returned to South Bend with $8,000 and bought out Henry Studebaker. Henry wanted to become a farmer.
This new money rehabilitated the firm of H. & C. Studebaker and assured its future prosperity. At that time, in 1858, the total assets of the firm were valued at $10,000. By 1860 they were building wagons for the U.S. Army and the same year the two Studebaker Brothers built their first Buggy. In 1864 Peter Studebaker joined his brothers and became an important factor in its management. In 1867 the factory buildings covered four acres of ground, 140 mechanics were employed and the pay roll amounted to over $1,500 per week.
On January 1, 1868, the assets of H. & C. Studebaker amounted to $223,269.00, and sales were about $350,000 annually. Thus had the business grown to such extent that it was determined to form a corporation. The Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company was organized March 26, 1868 under the statutes of Indiana. Clem Studebaker was elected President, John M. Studebaker, Treasurer, and Peter E. Studebaker, Secretary.
Jacob F. Studebaker died in 1887 and Peter E. Studebaker died in 1897 at the age of 61. Clem Studebaker died in 1901 at the age of seventy. He was President of The Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company for thirty three years. John M. Studebaker was in charge of the manufacturing department for forty five years, during which time he personally supervised the building of nearly all vehicles that left the factory. He built into these products sturdy and honest character. Upon the death of Clem Studebaker, John M. Studebaker succeeded to the presidency, but continued to devote himself to the manufacturing department. John was the last of the five brothers and he died at the age of 83 in South Bend March 16, 1917.
In 1891 Frederick S. Fish, of Newark, N. J., who had married a daughter of John M. Studebaker, associated himself with the three brothers in the conduct of the business. In 1897, on the death of Peter Studebaker, he became chairman of the executive committee of the company, and thereafter was a dominating influence in the conduct of its affairs. Owing to his foresight, initiative and effort, the company became interested in the horseless vehicle, and thereafter expanded into the automobile business, and ultimately merged The Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company into The Studebaker Corporation.