Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Steubenville and Indiana Rail Road Company dating back to the 1850's! This document, which was printed by H. Anderson Sc. of Clairsville, Ohio, is signed by the company President and Secretary, and measures approximately 9 1/2" (w) by 6" (h).
This certificate featured two vignettes a pair of trains passing each other at the top, and the allegorical Liberty at the bottom.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured. Please note edge faults at the bottom margin. An excellent example given the document's age.
The Steubenville and Indiana Railroad Company was chartered by the State of Ohio and under its charter built the road from Steubenville to Newark, 117 miles, and the Cadiz Branch in Harrison county, 7 1/2 miles in length, The company subsequently purchased the undivided half of the Central Ohio Railroad between Newark and Columbus, 33 miles, thus giving the company with the Steubenville bridge and the two roads from there to Pittsburgha direct line from Pittsburgh to Columbus, Ohio, a distance of 150 miles.
The bridge over the Ohio river near Steubenville was authorized by an act of Congress July 14, 1862. Congressional Globe, part 4, 1861-2. Appendix, page 406. The Pittsburgh and Steubenville Railroad Company was chartered by the State of Pennsylvania March 24, 1849. The road extends from Pittsburgh to the boundary line between West Virginia and Pennsylvania. This road was sold under foreclosure of mortgage, and the company reorganized under the name of the Pan Handle Railroad Company, which has given the route name to the different lines of the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company.
The Holliday's Cove Railroad Company was chartered by the State of Virginia March 30, 1860, and the road constructed across the narrow section of West Virginia known as the Pan Handle, seven miles in length connecting the Pan Handle Railroad with the Steubenville bridge.
The line was sold and reorganized on September 2, 1850.
On October 1, 1861 the company purchased of the undivided half of the Central Ohio Railroad between Newark and Columbus, Ohio.
On May 11, 1868, the line was consolidated with the Holliday's Cove Company and the Pan Handle Company.
On May 14, 1861, the three consolidated companies became the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railway Company.