Standard Butterine Company (West Virginia)
Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Standard Butterine Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary and Treasurer, was printed by Craig, Finley & Co. of Philadelphia and measures approximately 12" (w) by 10" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of the West Virginia State Seal.
The Standard Butterine Company was incorporated in West Virginia in December of 1899. The company's plant was located in the Langdon district of District of Columbia - also known as South Woodridge.
The company went into receivership in 1903.
Butterine was once also a name for margarine. At the time, most margarine was made from animal fat such as pork lard or beef tallow.
When Hippolyte Mege-Mouriez took out his patent in England for margarine in 1869, he did so calling it “butterine.” In the late 1880s, it was used as the word for margarine in the UK until the word “margarine” won over. The use of the word “butterine” continued longer in America. Many margarine companies called themselves “butterine” companies, such as the Standard Butterine Company of West Virginia, the Churngold Butterine Company of Ohio, and the “Baltimore Butterine Company” in Maryland.