Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the St. Louis Merchants Bridge Company dating back to the 1890's. This document, which is signed by the company Trustees, was a printed by the New York Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7 3/4" (h).
This certificate's beautiful vignette features a high steel bridge with a train on it. A number of boats appear on the river below.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The St. Louis Merchants Bridge Company was incorporated on May 11, 1896 in the state of Missouri. The company was organized in the interest of the Merchants Exchange of St. Louis to construct a bridge over the Mississippi to St. Louis at a point between the northern line of St. Clair county, Illinois and the mouth of the Missouri River.
In 1889, the company leased its property to the St. Louis Merchants Bridge Terminal Railway Company, but this lease was canceled and a new 40-year lease was signed with the Madison, Illinois and St. Louis Railway Company.
The bridge was completed on March 18, 1890 and opened in May of that same year (this certificate was issued just two short months later). In August of 1893, the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis reached agreement to use the bridge by guaranteeing by endorsement the payment of interest on the bridge company’s $2,000,000 in outstanding bonds.