St. James Realty & Department Store Co. (Jacksonville, Florida)
This product is sold out
Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the St. James Realty & Department Store Co. dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Treasurer, was printed by the Franklin-Lee Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 1/4" (w) by 7 3/4" (h).
The certificate's vignette features the company's Jacksonville, Florida flagship store.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Occupying the entire block, the St. James Building has been a Jacksonville landmark since its completion in 1912. The Cohen brothers, who commissioned the construction of the building, hired renowned Jacksonville architect Henry John Klutho to design and supervise the construction of this mammoth building. The building takes its name from the famous St. James Hotel that occupied the site until it was destroyed by the 1901 fire that destroyed much of downtown Jacksonville.
The store occupied the first two floors with offices on the top two floors, including the new offices of Klutho himself. At one time it was the largest department store in the South and the ninth largest in the United States - it was affectionately known as the "Big Store."
The building has been rehabilitated and now serves as the Jacksonville City Hall. The four Cohen brothers, Samuel, Morris, Julius, and Jacob, came to Jacksonville in 1867 and founded the Cohen Brothers Company in 1870. The company was in business until the 1980s.