Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Solomon Valley, Phillipsburg and Northern Railroad Company dating back to the 1880's. This document was printed by A. Gast & Co. and measures approximately 11 1/4" (w) by 7 3/4" (h).
This certificate features a nice vignette (known as "The Crossing") of a train crossing a bridge over a stream. In the stream is a herd of cattle.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Solomon Valley, Phillipsburg and Northern Railroad Company was incorporated in Kansas, and was based in Phillipsburg.
Phillipsburg was organized in 1872 and named the county seat due to its central location in the county on July 26, even though the first residents didn't arrive until the fall of that year. It was named for politician and journalist William A. Phillips. Phillipsburg was incorporated as a city in 1880.
The first post office was established in Phillipsburg on December 23, 1872, with the first postmaster being Fred A Dutton, but the name of the post office was spelled Phillipsburgh until 1893. Named in honor of John Bissel, Fort Bissel was built in 1872 to protect against perceived hostility from Native Americans and closed in 1878. The Fort was reconstructed in city park in 1962. The first cemetery in the town, Close cemetery, was established on March 19, 1879 by the Fairview cmetary association and was deeded to the city on June 4, 1889. A branch of the Chicago, Kansas and Nebraska Railway was established through Phillipsburg in 1887. Also in 1887 complete telephone systems were installed in the city. A fire nearly destroyed the entire town square in 1906. The current courthouse was constructed in 1912. "Kansas' Biggest Rodeo" was first held in 1929 and is held annually on the last weekend in July or first weekend in August.