Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Slate Belt Electric Street Railway Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by Beni D. Benson & Son, Lithographers, New York, and measures approximately 9 1/4" (w) by 14 1/2" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette features one of the company's electric trolleys.
One full page of coupons remains attached at the right side margin.
This standard gauge trolley line between Nazareth and Bangor, Pennsylvania was chartered in 1899 and opened the following year.
At Nazareth, the line connected with the Allen Street Railway to Bath.
The Lehigh Valley Transit Company leased the line in 1904, but the lease was soon abrogated, and the loss of revenue forced the Slate Belt into bankruptcy.
Reorganization followed in 1908. In 1921, the company name was changed to the Slate Belt Transit Company, and in 1925 to the Bagor and Nazareth Transit Company.
The line was abandoned in 1926.