Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from Shulton, Inc. dating back to the 1960's and 1970's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary, was a printed by the Security-Columbian Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a clipper ship, laboratory equipment and a female figure holding a globe.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Old Spice products were manufactured by the Shulton Company that was founded in 1934 by William Lightfoot Schultz. Schultz was inspired by his mother’s potpourri and as a result, the first Old Spice product in 1937 was a woman’s scent called Early American Old Spice. The product was received well, and therefore followed with Old Spice for men in 1938.
The men's products were dominated by shaving soap and aftershave lotion, marketed with a nautical theme. Sailing ships in particular were used for the brand's packaging. The original ships used on the packaging were the Grand Turk and the Friendship. Other ships used on Old Spice packaging include the John Wesley, Salem, Birmingham, Maria Teresa, Propontis, Recovery, Sooloo, Star of the West, Constitution, Java, United States, and Hamilton.
In 1941, Shulton introduced its first full make-up line based around a new perfume called Desert Flower. The range included lipstick, rouge (dry and paste) and face powder, as well as a toilet water, dusting powder, talcum, soap and perfume.
In 1943, Shulton acquired Leigh, Inc., an American perfume company started by Charles Leigh in 1890. Leigh sold cosmetics, toiletries and perfumes and, in 1919, had opened a high-grade perfume business in the Astor Trust building on Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street.
In the 1970s, Old Spice shifted from being a shaving brand to a fragrance brand by introducing signature scents like Old Spice Burley.
In June 1990, Procter & Gamble purchased the Old Spice fragrances, skin care and antiperspirant & deodorant brands from the Shulton Company, which by then, had merged with American Cynamid.