Nicely engraved antique bond certificate from the Shell Oil Company dating back to the 1970's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a pair of angelic allegorical figures flanking the Shell logo.
Shell Oil’s roots date back to 1833 when Marcus Samuel starts import export business in London. In 1892, Marcus’ son commissions the first special oil tanker and delivers 4,000 tons of Russian kerosene to Singapore and Bangkok. Five years later, Samuel’s company begins to operate under the name Shell Transport and Trading Company, Limited.
In 1903, Royal Dutch and Shell begin a joint marketing campaign under name British Dutch. In 1907, this partnership is extended worldwide, with the creation of the Royal Dutch / Shell Group of Companies. In 1912, trading in the US starts after the acquisition of the American Gasoline Company, an American marketing company.
The First World War years saw many of Shell’s operations closed down or confiscated; but others were added or expanded, particularly in North America.
In 1919, Alcock and Brown made the first non-stop flight across the Atlantic – powered by Shell fuel. Shell Aviation Services was established that same year. The 1920s and 1930s were expansion years, with Shell businesses in new regions and new industry sectors; Shell’s first foray into chemicals began in 1929.
During the Second World War, Shell once again lost businesses, tankers and properties, but supported the Allied Governments with fuel supplies and chemical production.
Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, Shell’s oil output and sales increased dramatically, to the point where Shell supplied almost one-seventh of the world’s oil products. This period was also important for the development of natural gas as an alternative source of energy.