Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Schuylkill and Lehigh Valley Railroad Company dating back to the 1890's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Homer Lee Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10 1/2" (w) by 7" (h).
This certificate features a pair of vignettes - showing three different locomotives and a wharf scene.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In Pennsylvania, the Lehigh Valley Railroad scored a coup by obtaining the charter formerly held by the Schuykill Haven and Lehigh River Railroad in 1886. That charter had been held by the Reading Railroad since 1860, when it had blocked construction in order to maintain its monopoly in the Southern Coal Field. That southern field held the largest reserves of anthracite in Pennsylvania and accounted for a large percentage of the total production. Through neglect, the Reading allowed the charter to lapse, and it was acquired by the Lehigh Valley, which immediately constructed the Schuylkill and Lehigh Valley Railroad. The line gave the LVRR a route into Pottsville, Pennsylvania and the Schuylkill Valley coal fields.
The owned mileage of the Schuylkill and Lehigh Valley, 41.521 miles, was all acquired by construction which began in 1890. In the construction of the property, contracts were let to W. F. Wentz and Company, contractors. By some means, assignments of the contracts became vested in E. P. Wilbur and Robert H. Sayre, who were officials of the Lehigh Valley. The mileage was as follows:
- Lizard Creek Junction to Blackwood - 39.821 miles
- Blackwood Junction to York Farms Junction - 1.180 miles
- Spring Garden Junction to Schuylkill Haven - 0.520 mile