Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Salt Lake and Ogden Railway Co. dating back to the early 1900's. This document was printed by the Utah LIthography Company, and measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
This certificate features a pair of great vignettes. To the left is the Great Salt Lake with the famous Mormon Temple in the background. One of the company's trolleys is shown at the right.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Simon Bamberger's Salt Lake and Ogden Railway Company was built it in 1896 to stimulate passenger traffic following the completion of tracks from Salt Lake to Farmington the previous year by its predecessor, the Great Salt Lake and Hot Springs Railway Company. Pictured on the certificate is the line’s “Lagoon Route” trolley – which serviced the Lagoon Amusement Park. The Lagoon is a famous amusement park located within the city limits of Farmington in Davis County, about eighteen miles north of Salt Lake City, approximately halfway between Salt Lake and Ogden.
The 40 acres on which Lagoon was located--it has since grown to 150 acres--included a small body of water (according to some accounts a reservoir, while others called it a Salt Lake City ice company's pond) from which it took its name. Bamberger bought most of the original buildings from another resort, Lake Park, which had been located 2.5 miles to the west on the shores of the Great Salt Lake. The Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad had built that resort in 1886; Bamberger held a 25 percent interest in it and was the resort's vice-president. It had closed following the 1895 season when receding lake waters had left it surrounded by mud and far from the water. The cupola of Lake Park's dancing pavilion--designed by Richard Kletting, best known as the architect of the original Saltair (1893) and the Utah State Capitol Building (1915)--is the only part of an original building remaining at Lagoon.
At its opening Lagoon advertised "Bowling, Elegant Dancing Pavilion, Fine Music, A Shady Bowery and Good Restaurants." Since then other attractions, typical of those found at amusement parks throughout the country, have been added. At one time or another, Lagoon has offered hot-air balloon rides, boxing and wrestling matches, great names in entertainment, horse racing and pari-mutuel betting, roller-skating, baseball games, dancing, swimming, bicycle racing, a zoo, motion pictures, live theater, blackface minstrel shows, rodeos, a midway, rowboating, marching bands, wild West shows, fireworks, and mechanical rides.
The first "thrill ride" was the "Shoot-the Chutes," a distant cousin of today's log flume, in 1899. Swimming in the lake began the next year. A merry-go-round, featuring forty-five hand-carved wooden horses, and still in use today, was added in 1906, a roller coaster in 1921, a swimming pool, with a sandy "Waikiki Beach," in 1928, and a fun-house in 1929. A fire on the night of 14 November 1953 destroyed much of the park, but it was quickly rebuilt and continued to expand--in contrast to its chief rival, Saltair, which closed permanently after the 1958 season. In 1968 the Lagoon Opera House, a 300-seat theater, was added; in 1976 Pioneer Village, a collection of historic buildings and artifacts purchased the previous year from the Sons of Utah Pioneers; and in 1989 a $5.5-million, 4.5-acre water park, "Lagoon A Beach."
The Bamberger family operated Lagoon until 1946 when, following its closure for several years during World War II, they leased it to the Utah Amusement Corporation.