Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Round Mountain Mining Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Gast Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 6" (h).
This certificate's vignette features the bust of a boy at the top. An allegorical female figure (Liberty) adorns the left and right borders.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Gold was discovered in 1905 and the town of Round Mountain, Nevada was established in 1906. The town started as an underground lode mining venture, which continued up to 1935. Surface mining with earth moving equipment lasted until 1940. In 1950 placer mining was done, with a dry land washing plant operating until 1957. Much hydraulic mining was done. Total district production was over $8 million. Some people still lived there in 1965 to 1969.
Gold was discovered at Round Mountain in 1905, but it was not until the following year that more substantial discoveries aroused interest in the area. High-grade gold ore was discovered on a hill known as Round Mountain. By mid-year, the population was close to 400. A number of major mining companies became active in the area and soon the town was given the name of Round Mountain. By 1907, there were daily stages running from Round Mountain to Tonopah. The town contained many wood structures containing mercantiles, saloons, brokerage agencies, a school and a library.
In 1906, the first two mining companies to begin operations were the Round Mountain Mining Company and the Fairview Round Mountain Mines Company. The value of the ore produced by the Round Mountain Company during the first ten years (1906 to 1916) was a little over $3 million. By the beginning of 1909 there were six mills operating in the district. Businesses included hotels, general stores, banks, restaurants, lodging houses, a school, a library, and a hospital. By 1939 the town's population was still only 234. The value of total production through 1940 was $7.8 million. New surface operations on the side of Round Mountain began in 1970 and continue to this day.