Richfield Oil Company of California
Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Richfield Oil Company of California dating back to the 1930's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Secretaray, was printed by the Jeffries Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a beautiful eagle.
The Richfield Oil Company of California was built on oil production and refinery capacity located in California. After entering receivership in 1935, the company was jointly controlled by Consolidated Oil and the Cities Service Company.
Richfield Oil of New York was started as the eastern arm of the company, but was bought outright by Consolidated in 1935. As a Sinclair subsidiary, the company contnued to market under the Richfield blue and yellow colors and the company's eagle logo. The New York firm was the largest all-jobber company in 1964 when it was finally merged into Consolidated - which by that time had been renamed the Sinclair Oil Company.
In 1940, Richfield's market was contained to California, Washington and Oregon, but by the 1960's they had broken into every state west of the Rockies.
In 1965, Atlantic Refining and Richfield merged to form Atlantic-Richfield, later known as ARCO.
The company's first gas station - which opened in 1917 - was located at Slauson and Central Avenues in Los Angeles.