Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Provo Gun Club on the Bear River dating back to the early 1900's. This document was printed by New Century Printing, and measures approximately 11" (w) by 8 1/2" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a hunter shooting at some geese from a rowboat.
Rare subject. Hard to find.
Beautiful piece from this Utah-based gun club.
Provo, originally known as Fort Utah, lies between the cities of Orem to the north and Springville to the south. In 1849, 33 Mormon families from Salt Lake City established Fort Utah. In 1850, Brigham Young sent an army from Salt Lake to drive out the Timpanogos in what is called the Provo War. The ruthlessness of the Mormon invaders angered the Timpanog, which contributed to the Walker War. Fort Utah was renamed Provo in 1850 for Étienne Provost, an early French-Canadian trapper who arrived in the region in 1825.