Intricately engraved antique bond certificate from the Poughkeepsie, Hartford & Boston Railroad Company dating back to the 1870's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the Eagle Printing House of Poughkeepsie and measures approximately 17" (w) by 23 1/2" (h) - including the 50+ coupons that remain at the bottom margin.
This certificate features a beautiful vignette of busy, industrial river town with factories, trains, ships, bridges and a mountainous backdrop.
A male figure holding a scythe appears at the upper left side, and a blacksmith adorns the upper right side.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
On April 13, 1866, thirty-four years after the first organization meeting, the Poughkeepsie and Eastern Railroad was chartered. The road, when completed ran through Ancram Lead Mines (Ancramdale) to Boston Corners and then south another 6.41 miles to State Line, just east of Millerton, to connect with the Connecticut Western Railroad. The line was completed October 1, 1872 at a cost of $1,499,200 for forty-three miles. Between Stissing Junction, a few miles south of Pine Plains, and Pine Plains, the Poughkeepsie and Eastern leased trackage from the Dutchess and Columbia Railroad, which was also under construction, at an annual rental of $10,000 until 1878 when it was reduced to $8,000.
In June, 1874, the P&E went into the hands of a receiver and was sold in April, 1875, to George Pelton of Poughkeepsie, who reorganized it as the Poughkeepsie, Hartford and Boston Railroad Company. Operation continued as under the P&E management. Late in 1886 the PH&B was sold under foreclosure and in January was reorganized as the New York and Massachusetts Railway Company. Financial troubles continued until March, 1893, when the road was again sold under foreclosure. In the following month it was chartered as the Poughkeepsie and Eastern Railway Company, almost its original name. In June, 1898, the road once again went into receivership; nine years later, in 1907, it was merged into the Central New England System.