Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Platt Music Company dating back to the 1920's. This certificate, which is signed by the company Vice President and Secretary, was printed by the Jeffries Bank Note Company and measures approximately 10 1/2" (w) by 7 1/4" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of a topless allegorical female figure sitting on a throne.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Platt Music Corporation, founded by Benjamin Platt in 1905, was a national retailer specializing in selling consumer electronics goods through leased operations in 135 department stores including Marshall Field's, Bloomingdale's, The May Department Stores Company and Emporium-Capwell.
By 1928, Platt Music was one of the largest retailers of its kind in the world. In 1929, the stock market crashed and Platt Music went into receivership. Because of Benjamin Platt’s good relationship with Tom May of the May Company, Platt rebuilt Platt Music to be bigger than ever. Platt Music contracted with the May Company to sell appliances in all of their stores. By 1955, Platt Music was the largest retail business of its kind in America. Platt was honored at the Ambassador Hotel in 1955, on the anniversary of his 50th year in business. Some of the biggest names in Los Angeles attended this event, some from as far as Mexico.
The Platt Music Company Building was constructed in 1927 and designed by architects Walker + Eisen. It was located at 834 S. Broadway in downtown Los Angeles.