Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Philadelphia & Gray's Ferry Passenger Railway Company dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by Wm. F. Murphy's Sons of Philadelphia and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 8 1/2" (h)
This piece features a great vignette of a horse-drawn trolley in front of a large building.
The Philadelphia & Gray's Ferry Passenger Railway Company was chartered on April 8, 1858, in Pennsylvania. The company acquired control of the Schuykill River Passenger Railway Company on December 29, 1866, and in March, 1903, absorbed that company.
The line was leased to Philadelphia Traction Company for 999 years on January 1, 1891. That lease was assigned to the Union Traction Company on October 1, 1895.
The company operated 10.612 miles of track in the Philadelphia area.