Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Philadelphia Bourse dating back to the 1890's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by Theo. Leonhardt & Son of Philadelphia, and measures approximately 12" (w) by 9" (h).
This certificate's vignette features the Philadelphia City Seal flanked by a ship and a train.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured. Please note there are cut cancels in the body that are not readily apparent when the document lies flat.
The Philadelphia Bourse was a commodities exchange founded in 1891 by George E. Bartol, a grain and commodities exporter, who modeled it after the Bourse in Hamburg, Germany. The steel-framed building – one of the first to be constructed – was built from 1893 to 1895, and was designed by G. W. & W. D. Hewitt in the Beaux-Arts style. Carlisle redstone, Pompeian buff brick and terra cotta were all used in the facade.
Bartol organized the Bourse by rallying the Philadelphia business community. He asked each new member to pledge $1,000 to the project. The Bourse motto was "Buy, Sell, Ship via Philadelphia."
The Philadelphia Bourse was the first in the world to house simultaneously a stock exchange, maritime exchange, and grain-trading center.
The Bourse stopped functioning as a commodities exchange in the 1960s.