Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Pennsylvania - Ontario Transportation Company dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Secretary and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette features an eagle with a globe atop a shield. The eagle clutches arrows in its talons.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Pennsylvania-Ontario Transportation Company was formed February 16, 1906 in Ohio, with 50/50 ownership by the Canadian Pacific Railway and the Pennsylvania Railroad. Its purpose was to operate a car ferry operation between Ashtabula, Ohio, a major coal and ore port, and the fishing village of Port Burwell.
The Great Lakes Engineering Works of St.Clair, Michigan built a steel car ferry, Ashtabula, capable of carrying 26 freight cars on four tracks. Primary traffic was coal from mines in Ohio and Pennsylvania - in fact, this was very nearly all the traffic carried, along with a small amount of southbound forest products.
By the 1950's dieselization and a general decline in coal, reduced the car ferry to an irregular service. The end came abruptly on September 18,1958 when the Ashtabula collided with the freighter Ben Moreel in Ashtabula, Ohio which resulted in its sinking. Although it was re-floated, it went back to where it had been built, for scrapping. Its purpose and time were over, from now on coal would come to Ontario all-rail via Buffalo.