Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Penn Yan & New York Railway Company dating back to the 1880's. This document measures approximately 10" (w) by 6 3/4" (h).
This certificate features a nice vignette of an old train rounding a bend.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Penn Yan & New York Railway was incorporated in 1877 and ran from Penn Yan to Dresden.
The Crooked Lake Canal was abandoned by the state in 1879; by 1884 the right of way had been purchased by a group of Penn Yan businessmen and the new spur erected on the old towpath. This was initially the Penn Yan & New York Railway; later a branch of the Fall Brook, the line terminated at the foot of the lake, where ice cut in the winter and stored in a number of ice houses was used to refrigerate fruit cars.
In 1885, the line was consolidated with the Syracuse, Geneva and Corning Railway, which was then leased to the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad.