Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Pacific American Company dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Secretary, was printed by Schwabacher-Frey of San Francisco, and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a detailed wharf scene with two large fishing boats.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Pacific American Company was organized under the laws of Delaware on May 2, 1928. The company's name was changed to Pacific American Fisheries, Inc. on December 12, 1929.
The company was originally formed to acquire all the capital stock of the Pacific American Fisheries Company, organized in 1905, and the interests of Deming & Gould Co., such as labels, trade-marks, etc., relating to the salmon business.
Later, the company acquired Alaska-Portland Packers, Alitak Fish Company, Annette Island Packing Company, Bellingham Warehouse Company, Hoonah Packing Company, Shumigan Packing Company and the Petersburg Packing Company.
On March 29, 1930, announced acquisition of the plant of Emel Packing Company at Valdez, Alaska.
By then, the company owned 12 canneries in Alaska and one on the Puget Sound, as well as a fleet of ocean steamships and various ship yards. Main office and warehouses were located at South Bellingham, Washington.
In January of 1935, Pacific American announced the purchase of the Alaska properties of the Booth Salmon Co. (Northwestern Fisheries, Inc.), including their 13 canneries.
In 1956, Alaska outlawed salmon traps in Alaska waters. It was the elimination of the fish traps that signified the end of Pacific American which could not absorb the increased cost associated with a seine and gill net fishery. In the fall of 1956, the company attempted to further diversify by going into the king crab business, but failed to generate enough profit to maintain operations. The company closed in 1965.