Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Oil Creek & Allegheny River Rail Way Company dating back to the 1860's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 10 1/2" (w) by 6 1/4" (h).
This certificate features two beautiful vignettes - at the top there is a train steaming by a canal. In the foreground there are a pair of men with horses and a small barge. In the background there is a river scene with a paddlewheeler. At the bottom of the piece there is a second train.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Oil Creek and Allegheny River Rail Way was incorporated on February 26, 1868 as a result of a merger of the Oil Creek Railroad and the Warren & Franklin Railway. One of the company’s more famous stock holders was Jay Gould.
In 1876, the company folded and was reorganized as the Pittsburgh, Titusville and Buffalo Railway, which later became part of the Western New York and Pennsylvania Railway.
The line ran from Union along the Allegheny River to Oil City. From there it proceeded to Petroleum Center, then up the Oil Creek to Titusville, and then to Corry.
The Oil Creek is a river that flows through both Pennsylvania and New York. It is a tributary of the Allegheny River, and joins the Allegheny in Oil City, Pennsylvania. The creek ends near Cuba, New York after passing under Interstate 86. The creek itself was named after the historic finding of oil by Edwin Drake in Titusville, Pennsylvania, which Oil Creek flows through.