Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Northern Refrigerator Car Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document was printed by Goes and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 8 1/2" (h).
This certificate's vignette features one of the company's refrigerator cars.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Northern Refrigerator Car Company was incorporated in Wisconsin and had roots that go back to Patrick Cudahy and his rail car shop on Whitnall Avenue, in the aptly named town of Cudahy.
In the midst of the Panic of 1893, Cudahy purchased 50 refrigerator cars at $450 apiece to get his business running. By 1912, his fleet was up to 266 cars - each of which was marked Cudahy-Milwaukee or Peacock Refrigerator Lines.
After Patrick's death in 1919, brother Michael reorganized the rail car business as the Northern Refrigerator Car Company. In 1928, Michael Cudahy sold the business (and its now 1,800 refrigerator cars) for $4 million to the Merchants Despatch Transportation Company.
The bulk fo the company's cars were produced by Pullman.