Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Northern Indiana Railway, Inc. dating back to the 1930's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Hamilton Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 15 1/4" (h).
This certificate's fantastic vignette features a female figure with a globe and scroll. Behind her are a city skyline, a harbor scene, an airplane, a train crossing a bridge and an old truck.
A full page of coupons remain attached at the right side margin.
The Northern Indiana Railway (NI) was an interurban electric freight and passenger railway operating in the states of Indiana and Michigan. It served the cities of Goshen, Elkhart, Mishawaka, South Bend, La Porte, and Michigan City, Indiana, and Niles and St. Joseph, Michigan.
Initially an Indiana railway formed in 1905 and merged with its subsidiary the Southern Michigan, in 1930. It also operated the street railways in South Bend, Elkhart, Goshen, La Porte and Michigan City. The NI was fairly successful during it's early years and into the 20's, but financial difficulties ensued and the line went into receivership in 1931.
Interurban services were cut back and all interurban lines were closed by 1934. The South Bend-Mishawaka street Railway was the last to go, being replaced by buses in 1940.